SM:

>> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter to consider
>> the following document:
>> - 'Document Shepherding Throughout a Document's Lifecycle'
>>  <draft-leiba-extended-doc-shepherd-00.txt> as Informational RFC
>>
>> The author is documenting his own opinion, and he is presenting that
>> opinion to the community for consideration.  The author is not
>> proposing any formal change, but he is interested in community
>> comments.  Since this is the authors opinions, changes to the document
>> based on received comments be at the author's discretion.  As a
>> result, the finished document will not claim to reflect IETF community
>> consensus.
>>
>> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
>> final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
>> ietf@ietf.org mailing lists by 2012-10-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
>
> This Last Call is highly unusual.  If the changes that are accepted is a
> matter of author discretion, why is there a Last Call and what is the role of
> the IESG here?

Since the document is about one person's opinion on IETF process, I felt it
useful to bring the document to the attention of the community.  Others may
agree or disagree.  Hopefully it will spur discussion.  Perhaps it will spur a
group to propose a change to the process.

After the Last Call, the IESG will make a decision about publication of this
document as an IETF Stream RFC.

Russ