At 10:02 AM 3/28/2013, John C Klensin wrote:
>   For me, it seems especially odd when
>compared to the liaison position to the ICANN Board.  Both are
>very important to the IETF community.  Both involve
>organizations with which the IETF has a complicated and
>multidimensional relationship.  Both involve issues that are
>very sensitive.   Yet the IAB conducted an open call for
>volunteers, followed by an open call for community comments, for
>one position and simply announced the appointment for the other.
>I think an explanation of the difference would be helpful for
>everyone.

The ICANN position of IETF Liaison is defined in the ICANN charter and has a
specific fixed term, as such it gets handled via a call for volunteers and an
appointment by the IAB.   AFAIK - there is no "IETF appoints a liaison to the
ITU-T board" position defined. I believe the actual "liaison" status is between
the IETF/ISOC and the ITU-T and the IETF ITU-T liaison acts more as a point of
contact than anything else.  I find it telling that RFC6756 doesn't even
mention a role for a specified person designated as liaison.

I would assume this accounts for the difference.  (Formal role vs informal/ad
hoc role).

Mike