On 05/03/2013 02:22 PM, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
GEN-ART is a good example, but actual document editing is much more work
and arguably, less rewarding than a review. So I think this can only
succeed with professional (=paid) editors.

I'm not sure that's the right conclusion to draw.

In the past I have done extremely detailed copy editing for drafts that I was particularly excited about, and wanted to help become RFCs. In exactly 1 case that work was warmly received by the author. In all the other cases I was met with reactions anywhere from mild disinterest to open hostility. In the most extreme example I was told on the list that my efforts were not welcome, would not be incorporated into any future drafts, and that I should not be trying to do the RFC Editor's job for them. I was also accused in private of trying to make the author look stupid. As a result of the at best generally apathetic reaction I no longer bother doing that kind of detailed copy editing when I review drafts.

The conclusion I have drawn (based in part on my own limited experience, and in part in seeing the same thing played out in IETF LC) is that as a community we do not place sufficient value on high quality work at late stages in the process. This is unfortunate on several levels. First, while I have the highest respect for the quality of work that the RFC Editor does it's not realistic to expect them to catch everything. And even if we were willing to fund the next-highest level of review/editing, in the best case scenario that kind of work usually incurs additional delays due to having to go back and forth with the authors, WG, etc. But I think more importantly, by not engaging in a better class of refinement at the WG level we miss the opportunity to help bring everyone's skill set up to a higher level.

There is a serious caveat to this though, we do not want to generate a perception that "only perfect English text need apply." We should make clear that _initial_ versions of drafts can and should be submitted even if the prose isn't yet publishable. But we should also make clear that help will be provided to _get_ the text up to snuff, and we should value that goal as an institution.

Doug