Hannes,

> The aim of this group is to find out how to reference IETF RFC (and standards
> from other organizations, like the W3C) since the European Commission seems
> to be unable to just reference standards beyond a small set of organizations
> (such as ETSI).
>
> As you can imagine, the different types of RFCs are not that easy to
> understand for those who do not participate actively in the IETF. Getting
> others to understand the different streams, the various document types and
> different standards is already difficult and maybe there is room for
> simplification here.

This may be going to a side-track from the purposes of the original discussion,
but thank you Hannes and Olaf working the EC to better accept our standards. It
is very important work. And I understand it has not been easy at all. If I have
understood correctly, there is a process to accept standards (or groups of
standards) one at a time, and that we've wanted to push IPv6 as one such
specification but despite two years and your heroic efforts, we still do not
have acceptance.

#rant on

But I'd separate two different reasons for difficulties of this nature. First,
there is some actual confusion. For instance the distinction between different
types of RFCs is usually lost on most people outside the IETF. But I'd say it
is often mixed (and might be so in this case) with other issues, such as desire
to push other types of standards. I really don't know how out of touch you'd
have to be to not understand that there are some agreed standards in the
Internet. Things that are glaringly obvious to any user who stares at a screen.
Like "http". Or IP, if you took even one course in the university about
networking technology. Actively ignoring reality?

#rant off

Jari