Joel,

This isn't 100% true. While our dates are not "fungible," we could
*consider* a date move, say +/- a week *if* this would give us
availability in a certain location. This would of course be the
*exception* and not the rule (which you have correct), but *if* we
found that, say, moving IETF 127 one week would make everything work
perfectly, then, yes, we *could* do it. Of course, this would have to
be done FAR in advance and with ample community input, just like we
are doing for the South America survey.

(Recall some recent discussion about moving a meeting to avoid some
holiday [Easter as I recall].)

But you are generally right: our dates are fixed for mostly all good
reasons, it's just that sometimes we find that this can also be to
our detriment. If we are looking ahead several years, I can well
imagine some negotiation, say with an RIR meeting, etc, etc.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: o...@cisco.com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo