On 2013-06-07 17:40, Elwyn Davies wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-06-07 at 16:05 +0200, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
>
>>> Appendix F: I missed that the text/parameter format appeared in the
>>> examples for GET_PARAMETER and SET_PARAMETER. It isn't stated in the
>>> definitions of these methods what encodings are acceptable for the
>>> message bodies that may go with these methods and their responses.
>>
>> Exactly, that is intentional. These methods can use anything that has a
>> MIME type. Also it has HTTP's mechanisms for determining what formats
>> one supports.
>>
>>> Clearly the new text/parameter MIME format is one.  Is it the only one?
>>
>> It is the only one defined by IETF for this purpose. That is why it is
>> in the appendix so that RTSP users shall have something to define the
>> parameters they want in. However, they have to accept the limitations of
>> a basic text format.
>>
>>> I guess you could use a application/json or an XML format but I guess
>>> these would also either have to be called out explicitly in the method
>>> descriptions or put in as feature extensions.  This needs to be
>>> clarified in the method descriptions (s13).  The upshot of all this is
>>> that I think Appendix F needs to be pulled back into Section 20 as
>>> currently it is the only way to encode the message bodies.
>>
>> I can agree that the format negotiation for the bodies of
>> GET/SET_PARAMETER is not clear. I will look at proposing some
>> improvements of the text related to the handling of method bodies and
>> their format negotiation.
> Good. I don't see where the server tells what formats it accepts for
> either GET_PARAMETER or SET_PARAMETER.  Also the Accept spec doesn't say
> anything about SET_PARAMETER.  AFAICS the client could tell the server
> what formats it accepts as a side-effect of DESCRIBE but that's a bit
> arcane - and it is not clear how you would separate the formats for
> DESCRIBE from those for GET_PARAM and SET_PARAM.

Yes, I think this negotiation should happen on per methods basis.

>> However, I am not pulling in Appendix F. It is an optional to use format
>> for parameter value pairs that can be used in these methods, it is not
>> required. Nor, does the specification define any parameters that are
>> transferred using this interface. The things that are in the appendix
>> are not core protocol, they represent either informational things, like
>> the examples and the state machine. The other appendices are normative
>> definitions of particular choices for things that can be combined or
>> used with RTSP, like RTP as media transport.
>>
> OK, it is possible to use GET_PARAM for basic requirements without using
> message bodies, so you can get away without defining a lowest common
> denominator format. However, the use of message bodies for SET_PARAM is
> RECOMMENDED so it seems a little odd not to ensure that server and
> client will have at least one format in common. (And its not as if we
> are dealing with a hugely complicated bit of spec for
> text/parameters! :-) ).  Then, given the example in GET_PARAMETER it
> seems sensible to advise implementing text/parameters as the default for
> GET_PARAM also.

Sure, I personally don't have any issue with making it at least SHOULD
implement text/parameters. But from my horizon a forward pointer with
the normative requirements is sufficient to accomplish that.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerl...@ericsson.com