I believe this is all part of improving the IETF Electronic Diversity picture. Just like we have to deal with greater people personal globalization diversity issues, there is also greater technology and legal diversity issues to deal with. So many tools, so many languages, so many OSes, so many devices and communications API platforms, where are the proposals for better, new "IETF Global Commons?" Guidelines for technical writing for the new world engineers to use, etc.

For me, when I saw this RFC, the things crossed my mind:

- I have trouble with the licensing statement. The RFC describes public domain technology. It requires passing this thru your lawyer(s) to see if it can used in our commercial product lines.

- Far too big to distribute via a RFC. Provide a link to some RFC site. Note, I'm just saying in general. I did not read in detail if
the RFC already included links to the official source code.

- Because it was too big, it requires a stripper/parser, although a good power programmer can quickly macro-clean it up. The RFCSTRIP tool, well, what language is that? I'm not an *nix person. So this adds to the complexity for the Windows shops to get at these hashing functions. Of course, its a piece of cake for a sharp programmer, but even the sharpest knives eventually get dull.

--
HLS