--On Friday, July 05, 2013 07:40 +0100 l.w...@surrey.ac.uk wrote:

> It strikes me that 'membership fees' as opposed to 'entrance
> fees' could work around this payment issue. Or incur a
> different tax...

But the use of a term like "membership fee" has profound
implications for what the IETF claims is our way of doing
business.

Folks, it is clear that this is both inconvenient and
complicated.  Would it be possible to just let the IAOC engage
in whatever discussions and consultations are needed --i.e.,
allow them to do their jobs-- without endless amateur [1]
speculation on what is going on and what should or could be done
about it.   Since people are obviously curious and in the
interest of openness and transparency, I hope that the IAOC will
explain the details and the solutions when they have things
under control.  But let's let them get them under control first.

Just my opinion, of course.

   john

[1] both amateur lawyers and amateur international taxation
experts.  Anyone who is part of the conversation who is _not_ am
amateur should probably volunteer (or market) her or his
services offlist to the IAOC or directly to Ray at i...@ietf.org