On 2013-08-06, at 10:26, Aaron Yi DING <aaron.d...@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> to clarify, imho:
>
> presentation != slides

In my experience, slides are mainly useful:

1. To convey information which is difficult to express accurately by voice only
(e.g. graphs, names of drafts, big numbers)

2. To distract the e-mail-reading audience in the room so that they look up and
pay attention.

An example of (2) can be found in
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-dnsop-8.pdf> where I
presented a one-slide problem statement that consisted entirely filled with an
xkcd cartoon. Once the room is suitably filled with hilarity, it's much easier
to enrage people with your stupid idea.

I don't think that having slides available in advance helps significantly with
(1) in an ietf context (where we are continuing a conversation from a list, and
not generally introducing new material). (2) is not really pertinent for a
remote audience (if they've bothered to attend at all, you can surely assume
they are paying attention.)

Many people use slideware as a teleprompter so that they can remember what to
say at the mic. I've done that before. I'm not proud of it.

The best outcome at a working group meeting is that, as a presenter, you spend
most of your time listening rather than talking. If the mic line is empty, you
probably should not have been on the agenda.

Joe