On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM, Janet P Gunn <jgu...@csc.com> wrote:
> As someone who has done it both ways (in person and remotely) I have a
> couple of comments.
>
> Having the slides available early is an advantage to BOTH in-person and
> remote participants.
>
> As a remote participant I "need" the slides available about 30 min before
> the session.
> As a participant (in-person or remote) it is VERY helpful to have the slides
> available much earlier.
> So I do not think "how many remote participants for this session" is a
> useful parameter for "how important is it to get the slides out early"

Agreed. What I meant was it strengthens the case to make slides
available before hand.

> On the other hand, I DO think  that the number of remote participants for a
> particular session IS a useful parameter for "how important is it to have an
> active jabber scribe" and "how important is it to make sure the audio
> streaming is working well."

Agreed. Again,  it strengthens the case to get it done right. This
part has been working well though.

> As a remote participant the list of "working groups I am interested in" is
> different from the list of "working groups I plan to participate in
> remotely".
> There is a SMALL list of working groups I am willing to get up at 2:30 AM
> (my time) to participate in (otherwise I MIGHT look at the slides and read
> the minutes when they come out)
> There is a much LARGER list of working groups I  will participate in
> remotely if they are in (my time) "normal working hours".

Agreed. there are a couple of nuances here. There is a list of groups
I would wake up in the middle of the night so that I can follow the
discussion realtime. The other is a list of groups for which I would
like to have meetecho recording so that I can follow more closely
later.

> There is nothing you can do about this a priori, but if the records show
> that, for instance -  whenever IETF is in North America, WG abc consistently
> has a large number of remote participants from Europe, and WG xyz
> consistently has a large number of remote participants from Asia -  that
> could be factored into the agenda scheduling process.

Yes exactly. Great point. I forgot to mention this. Right now we
cannot see patterns as we do not have enough data. Just moving around
the WG scheduling can help a lot more people participate.

> In-person participants are not asked to list the WG they are interested in.
> That is accomplished by the blue sheets.  I wonder if there is a way to do
> something analogous to the blue sheets for remote participants, whether
> through jabber, email, doodle-poll, wiki, whatever.

Yeah. I had in mind something like doodle. Simple, lightweight works
and gets data.

Also we can start this on a WG-by-WG groups though an IETF wide tool
would be useful.