On 21 aug 2013, at 09:17, David Conrad <d...@virtualized.org> wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2013, at 9:00 PM, Andrew Sullivan <a...@anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>> The WG had a hard time coming up with really good data about what validators
>> look for, ... If someone else with some busy nameservers wants to provide
>> different evidence now, it wouldn't hurt.
>
> Out of morbid curiosity, I just looked at the logs from my name server (which
> has both TXT and SPF RRs but which is very, very far from being busy) with a
> quick perl hack:
:
:
:
> totals: spf: 1389, txt: 19435, 7.146900%
>
> (the numbers are queries since the name server last restarted/dumped stats)
>
> Will look for better data than my measly little name server.

I have been looking at the queries to one of the nameservers that Frobbit runs
(which is authoritative for quite a number of zones, although not GoDaddy), and
a tcpdump for a while today gives the following data:

$ /usr/sbin/tcpdump -nr dns.pcap | grep 'SPF?' | wc -l
reading from file dns.pcap, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet)
tcpdump: pcap_loop: truncated dump file; tried to read 271 captured bytes, only
got 95
1105
$ /usr/sbin/tcpdump -nr dns.pcap | grep 'TXT?' | wc -l
reading from file dns.pcap, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet)
tcpdump: pcap_loop: truncated dump file; tried to read 94 captured bytes, only
got 18
2819

I.e. 2819 queries for TXT while there was 1105 for SPF resource record.

Now, I have no idea whether all of those queries for TXT was only for the SPF
usage of TXT of course, but this gives it was at least 28% of (TXT+SPF)-queries
that was for SPF.

Deprecating something that is in use that much just does not make any sense.

   Patrik