On 2013-09-11, at 11:43, Phillip Hallam-Baker <hal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK lets consider the trust requirements here.
>
> 1. We only need to know the current time to an accuracy of 1 hour.

[RRSIG expiration times are specified with a granularity of a second, right?

I appreciate that most people are generous with signature inception and
expiration times in order to facilitate clock skew on validators, but I think
"1 hour" needs some qualification.]

> 2. The current time is a matter of convention rather than a natural property.
> It is therefore impossible to determine the time without reference to at
> least one trusted party.
>
> 2a) A trusted party that asserts that the current time is set to a date in
> the future can perform a denial of service attack on a relying party but one
> that is easily detected.
>
> 2b) It is a simple matter for the trusted party to provide a signed assertion
> that the current time is after the Date-Time X. The hard part is ensuring
> that the relying party can access an up to date version of the current time
> assertion.
>
> 2c) DNSSEC already provides an abundance of such assertions. If the
> signatures on the .com zone are claiming a date in the future then the whole
> viability of DNSSEC collapses.
>
> 3) A relying party thus requires a demonstration that is secure against a
> replay attack from one or more trusted parties to be assured that the time
> assertion presented is current but this need not necessarily be the same as
> the source of the signed time assertion itself.
>
> 4) In the case of DNSSEC the window of vulnerability is actually fairly small
> since rewinding the time to a date in the past only helps an attacker if they
> had compromised the system on that date.

[or if they had intercepted, stored and replayed a signed response at a later
time when the current response would be different]

> The real design decision is who you decide you are going to rely on for (3).
> TLS is proof against replay attack due to the exchange of nonces.

I think that's deeper than where we are right now. Before we consider
mechanisms for gauging the accuracy of a local clock, we need consensus on the
general approach, e.g. the state machine implied by
draft-jabley-dnsop-validator-bootstrap or something different but analogous.

Joe