On 17/09/2013 08:10, Ted Lemon wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Ted Lemon <ted.le...@nominum.com> wrote:
>> This is a claim in the boilerplate which the IETF, not the authors, are
>> making.
>
> I am sure flames are already directed my way for being imprecise here, but
> what I mean is that although the authors put this boilerplate in the
> document, the IETF, through the document publication process, effectively
> affirms that the authors have made this claim, so it's entirely reasonable
> for us to double-check that all of the authors of a document know they are
> making this claim, and that it isn't something that one author put in without
> asking the others about it, and that all the authors actually understand what
> the boilerplate says.

Yes. And as an author, I have never been offended by being asked, for
recent RFCs, if I had in fact done what the BCPs specify, which is to
disclose (or arrange to be disclosed) IPR of which I was reasonably
and personally aware.

I believe this question was added to the procedure after one or two
cases where authors had not done so.

   Brian