On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> I oppose to the change as proposed, and support the explanation called
> for by John Klensin instead.  Two arguments:
>
> 1)  The harm Barry exemplifies in the request --incompatibility with
>     mailing list posting-- is going to be a feature of at least one
>     of the other ways addressing that problem.  Indeed, "those who
>     don't know history are destined to repeat it", and the explanation
>     is needed to make history known.

Ample discussion of the problems exists in RFCs, most notably RFC 6377.  A
simple solution to your concern would be to modify the writeup to reference
what's written there.

John Klensin's proposal, however, is to write up and publish a short RFC
that makes the state change and possibly the "Historic" request, so that
the two things (status change and pointers to details) are in one, more
obvious, place.

> 2)  A possible fix for ADSP is explained by John Levine himself:
>     http://www.mail-archive.com/ietf-dkim@mipassoc.org/msg16969.html
>     I'm not proposing to mention it along with the explanation, but
>     fixing is not the same as moving to historic.  It seems that it
>     is just a part of RFC 5617, DNS records, that we want to move.
>

> To me, that post says ADSP is best implemented as a locally-configured
list of domains for which ADSP should be enforced.  That may be the better
solution, but then there's no protocol for the IETF to document, because
nothing is interoperating.  I don't believe this is an argument for
prolonging ADSP itself.

-MSK