Hi Marie,

I think you can try linear combination fitting, but you'll have to build in the
uncertainty in normalization in to your own estimates of uncertainty.

If you don't check the box that says "force weights to sum to 1," then you can
allow for normalization errors in your sample.

If your standards also have only short energy ranges, then there's nothing you
can do about that, though. As I said, you'll just have to build them in to your
uncertainty. If you are unsure of the edge jump of a standard to 20%, then the
contribution of that standard to the linear combination fit is uncertain by
20%.

Uncertainty in normalization is one of the leading contributions to the
uncertainty that should be associated with linear combination fitting, even
when the energy ranges are sufficient. In a case like yours, they're bigger
than they could have been, but it doesn't mean you can't use linear combination
analysis at all.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College