Possibly helpful:

https://speakerdeck.com/bruceravel/modeling-non-crystalline-samples

Particularly this page:

https://speakerdeck.com/bruceravel/modeling-non-crystalline-samples?slide=11

On 11/05/2013 10:46 AM, Matt Newville wrote:
Hi Aderson,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Áderson Miranda <aderson....@gmail.com
<mailto:aderson....@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Dear Prof. Newville,

    I am a PhD. student from Brazil and I am trying to use ATOMS to a
    solve a particular problem in my thesis. I would like to generate a
    big cubic unitary cell  with a S2O3 molecule surrounded by six water
    molecules in the center of cell and to put heliums atoms in their
    six vertices.

    I have all the atoms positions optimized to my problem, except by
    the helium atoms, that I want to place in a enough distance to have
    only one molecule of S2O3 surrounded by water in the simulation of
    EXAFS. I tried to insert the data in atoms and generate an input for
    the  simulation of EXAFS. I was not successful in my try, so is it
    possible to construct this kind of cell and simulating the "EXAFS"
    for this specific problem?

    Sincerely,

    Áderson Miranda

Yes, it should be possible to do this.  It would be most helpful to see
what you've tried and what worked and what did not.    It's not obvious
to me that helium will give a noticeable contribution to the EXAFS, but
it's worth being able to calculate.

I am using the Ifeffit mailing list to respond to this mail, as many
people reading this have extensive experience constructing such
molecular coordinates.

--Matt

 Synchrotron Science Group at NSLS --- Beamlines U7A, X24A, X23A2
 Building 535A
 Upton NY, 11973

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel