Hi Sean

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Sean Fackler <swfack...@lbl.gov> wrote:

> Thanks Matt for the thorough explanation.
>
> Actually it was Jamie Sethian who asked. I am working on using Larch as a
> code basis for doing high-throughput NEXAFS analysis. You can imagine
> automating just basic normalizing and background subtraction steps would be
> invaluable in this case. I am working with CAMERA ( Alex Hexamer, Ronald
> Pandolfi ) on making a GUI and Materials Project ( Patrick Huck ) along
> with ALS ( Alpha N'Daiye ) to have some sort of database contribution
> route. Data is coming from ALS beam line 6.3.1.

Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing Larch is meant to do!

> I will be calling on you as I learn Python concurrently with implementing
> Larch. For example, I got read_ascii to work but couldn't get the plot
> functions to work and get "newplot not defined." I am using 2.7 on Mac OSX
> El Capitan. Any ideas?

Do you have wxPython installed and get the other dependencies (including
wxmplot) installed?   FWIW, I run it on a Macbook with El Capitan all the
time, and have seen many successful installs with Anaconda.

If you are using Anaconda python on OS X, there is a weirdness with
wxPython that requires using "pythonw" instead of "python" as the
interpreter (some Framework thing), but that "just" makes running larch
from a command-line or script fail immediately with a message about not
being able to draw to the screen.  The "larch_makeicons" makes mini-Apps
that avoids this, and the next version will fix this even for the
commandline programs.

--Matt