Still puzzling. I sort of understand what you are seeing, but it makes little sense, isn't consistent with my understanding of how package loading in perl works, and certainly is not something I have seen before.

Try putting

use Graphics::GnuplotIF;

somewhere near the top of lib/Demeter/Plot/Gnuplot.pm. Doesn't much matter where. After line 57 would be fine.

If that works -- great! Both of my suggestions do no harm, so I'll just commit them to github....