Hi Stefan,

OK, glad to hear you got it working, and thanks for the explanation.

It is definitely not the intention that the Xcode developer tools need to
be installed.  I do have those installed, but still `fabio` did install
from a "whl" (packaged binary), not a "tar.gz" (a source code kit) for me.

I think this is probably not related to ARM/M1 v Intel.  I think it is just
whether the binary was expected to be built on the target machine or not.

Anyway, thanks  - that might help someone else who gets stuck too.
Cheers,

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu> 630-327-7411