Sunday was an unusually busy morning in the Indy area, especially on the
"St. Dead Line!"

Of course all the trains were wanting to go in the wrong direction, but at
about 9:15 a.m. Q598, Q227, Q373 and grain train G999 were all fighting for
space at the west end of Avon, and all but Q598 were ready to go west toward
Terre Haute!

Q111 (the train formerly known as Mail-5) came into town with a CSX
SD50/ex-CR B36-7/CSX C40-8W leading a lengthy train. He took the
Crawfordsville Secondary from downtown to Avon because an S309 was stopped
east of Avon without a crew. There was another westbound with crew waiting
at Brightwood (east of downtown Indy) and two eastbounds (Q638 and another)
waiting out at Danville on the "St. Louis" to get into Avon .... obviously
the congestion problems aren't easing.

There were two very interesting locomotives in the Avon engine pit: two
Canadian American Railroad units that I think were F40s with a modified
nose, numbered #475/476. Anybody know anything about this railroad? The
paint scheme was absolutely gorgeous .... maroon, grey with yellow striping,
similar to Algoma Central.

Add to all the mainline hoopla several locals working: I got a great "Indy
skyline" photo of J379 (or was it Y379? I forget) coming through downtown
Indy. There's still some great Indy skyline shots to be had, despite all the
recent construction. Is J- (or Y-) 379 a State St. - Avon turn? I have no
clue.

And Y132 ran west around the old Indpls. Union Railway. For those of you who
have never shot a train on the I.U. Rwy. ("the Belt," as it's usually
referred to), a picture of a local crossing the White River bridge south of
downtown is a must. And it's an easy 200mm telephoto shot from the Raymond
Street bridge. There's a sidewalk on both sides of the bridge, and parking
just west of the river.

Nothing like what Mike saw in Lafayette, in terms of exotic power, but a
busy morning nonetheless!

 This is the Illiana Railroad Discussion List.
 For more info visit http://www.railcenter.com/illiana