2009/2/8 Sebin Jacob <sebinaja...@gmail.com>:
> wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -o-
>
> sudo apt-key add -

are you sure you gave the two commands in the same line? That was a
shortcut to simplify two commands and not to have the file lying
around. It takes the output from first command and pass it to the
second command if given in a single line.

try this.
wget http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg

this will download wicd.gpg to current directory.

then sudo apt-key add wicd.gpg

now try
aptitude update

> The results I got was this:
>
> W: GPG error: http://apt.wicd.net intrepid Release: The following signatures
> couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY
> FEC820F4B8C0755A
>
> The same had occured before while trying to update open office to its newest
> verison by adding deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu
> intrepid main to the third party depositories index.
>
> W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following
> signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available:
> NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF
>
> So in both the cases, the system is not able to access the GPG keys. How
> could this be done?

pr...@parimbrath:/tmp$ gpg --recv-key 0x60D11217247D1CFF
gpg: requesting key 247D1CFF from hkp server subkeys.pgp.net
gpg: key 247D1CFF: public key "Launchpad PPA for OpenOffice.org
Scribblers" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
pr...@parimbrath:/tmp$ gpg --export --armor 0x60D11217247D1CFF | sudo
apt-key add -
OK

gpg keys are used to ensure the authenticity of the packages. You can
ignore those if you trust the source and sure no one is trying
mischief (some repositories does not give signed packages, be careful
with them). But it always good to verify. The next step is the web of
trust, physically verify the identity of the owner and sign their gpg
keys. Its starts with you trust someone, he trust andother ... and you
can trust the chain.

Read more about it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_of_trust

Debian has one of the largest web of trust, with signatures from two
existing debian developers being mandatory for a new debian developer.
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)