check this out
http://hightechsorcery.com/2008/10/evaluating-desktop-environments-ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex
The most popular ones are
 Gnome (Ubuntu) - default install
 KDE (Ubuntu)
 XFCE (Xubuntu)
 LXDE -
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/lxde-lightweight-x11-desktop-environment-for-ubuntu.html

Then there are couple of desktops which are themed based on the user
audience (
http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/05/07/installing-four-other-desktop-edition-on-ubuntu/
)
  Edubuntu - is based on both gnome and K desktop environment, but it’s
designed for young users. Edubuntu also provides three different theme
setups, ‘young’, for younger users, ‘plain’ for a clean desktop setup, and
‘default’, which is a general purpose theme setup.
  Gobuntu - strictly follows Free Software Foundation’s four freedoms. Which
means there will be no firmware, drivers, applications, or content included
in Gobuntu that does not include the full source or whose license does not
provide the right to use, study, modify, and redistribute the body of work.

Then the less known ones like
  Looking Glass -
http://www.debianadmin.com/install-sun-looking-glass-desktop-environment-in-ubuntu.html

  gOS - http://www.thinkgos.com/index.html