On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 19:40 -0700, Visakh wrote:
> But, sorry to be pessimistic -
> going by the way government treats FOSS (eg: VAT e-filing), i wonder
> if they or their agencies have any genuine interests in FOSS other
> than immediate political ones.

Suspecting the real intention of a political party is natural, because
our experiences have not been good. But, in this case, we know that the
Chief Minister is genuinely interested in FS (he had favoured FS right
from the time he was Leader of the Opposition). Moreover, I am not sure
that favouring FS would gain much political mileage for a party. So I
think the support given by the present ministry and the CPI(M) is
genuine. Implementers are different, and they need not always think of
FS. They may not even be favourable. I think that is why we see non-free
software making its appearance frequently. So we need to be on our guard
and point out such policy violations.

> Still, I will support the idea and in petitioning them.

So let us write to them and see what happens. We know that the Education
Minister is also a supporter of FS. Let us write to the Higher Education
Board and see what heppens. If not we will meet the Minister too.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India