Hi,
  Thanks for your help, but I am aware of the command line and
configuration file ways of setting up Static IPs. But that is counter-
intuitive when network manager is available. I searched far and wide
for a way of setting up static IPs using network manager, but all I
could find were recommendations to uninstall it before following the
methods you suggested. It seemed like a bug back when NM 0.7 was
introduced in Ubuntu- but it is surprising that this problem still
persists even after a full year. So I was wondering if I was missing
something about NM 0.7 - which is why I raised this question.
Uninstalling NM 0.7 and attempting text configuration is a last option
for me- not that I hate text configuration, but I hate to change the
default working configuration of the system.

Regards,
Gokul Das