Mahesh Mohan wrote:
In Ubuntu 8.10 Opera is very slow for me. Also why think for another browser, when award-winning Firefox is there ?
There are differences... Opera uses less resources than firefox; both memory and CPU usage. So, in low memory systems Opera performs better(Its from my experience @ college lab :-P )

Still I promote firefox and its clones like iceweasel and icecat as its free and can further be enhanced using addons. In my system I have more than 4 browsers including iceweasel, Opera, IEs4Linux, Konqueror, Epiphany, etc as I need to check my web designs for browser compatibility.

=================================
       .--.
      |o_o |
      |:_ /  |
     / /     \ \
    (|        | )
   /'\_   _  /  `\
   \___)=(___/

http://maheshmohan.wordpress.com

മഹേഷ് മോഹന്‍ എം.യു

=================================

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:58 AM, Syam Krishnan <sya...@gmail.com> wrote:

V. Sasi Kumar wrote:
> There are Free Software fans who use Opera. It must be good. But for
> some reason, it has not become as popular as Firefox. I think it lagged
> far behind, last time I saw the stats. I wonder why.

Any discussion on this tend to become a flame war on Opera vs Firefox.
Opera was / is a pioneer and a lot of celebrated features that we see in
today's browsers (tabs, for example) were introduced by Opera. But in
the beginning, they had these ugly Ad banners that made using Opera a
not-so-ejoyable affair. It was after version 6 or so that they made it a
freeware (free of cost, of course).
Firefox enjoys all the media attention for being "free software", while
Opera, still being far superior to IE (and even Firefox when it comes to
web standards) is little known. Except for the power of extensions
(addons) and flawless malayalam rendering, I believe Firefox is inferior
to Opera. (no flames please..).

Syam

--
Signature With love and regards,