2009/6/20 BINNY THOMAS <binn...@gmail.com>:
> Since I had many bad upgrading experiences with Ubuntu and was forced to go
> for a full format, I am also  looking for  a solution for getting the
> benefits of the new version without the hassle of formatting. I had heard
> that copying the 'dot folders'(read hidden files) in the home folder will
> enable you to keep your settings. I don't know if its true or how  it works.

Partially true. Most of the user settings, bookmarks, email(evolution,
thunderbird) etc are stored in "dot" folders. Most of these
applications also allow safe upgrade from the old settings file.
Consult the application documentation for more details on upgrade.

--
Manilal K M : മണിലാല്‍ കെ എം.
http://libregeek.blogspot.com