On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 13:33 -0700, Visakh wrote:

>   Just in case you want to know the health of your Hard drive, you can
> use SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology). In
> Gnu/Linux, it is made available using smartmontools package. I can
> give more details if you are interested.

I am interested. I think my laptop has started showing problems that may
be possibly traced to the hard disk. My X has irrecoverably crashed on a
couple of occasions, and I had to reboot. I normally don't shutdown,
only suspend the computer. And I normally have several documents and
several tabs in Iceweasel open at any moment. So a crash becomes rather
irritating. The error message says (from memory) that X is not properly
configured. I can't imagine what problem other than a hard disk error
can cause such an error.

Best
--
V. Sasi Kumar