Dear Srihari
A combination of Octave and Qtoctave (front end) will do the job well.
Even that is mlab compatable the same file will run in mlab too if needed.
Scilab is another good option.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_numerical_analysis_software
with regards
Ranjith S. Kumar,Lecturer In Mechanical Engineering, Government Engineering
College,Barton Hill,Thiruvananthapuram -35,Mob.9447295213