I'm not an expert. For last few months I'm upgrading my mailing style.
I'll explain my style. Please comment it.

1. Trying to use standard English style. (i.e.) A new sentence and
name should started with capital letter, and using proper syntax
according to my knowledge.

2. Avoided short form as much as possible.[But a lot of exemptions>
GNOME, GIMP etc.]

3. Avoided smiley and expression[like YO! YO!] in mails in list, it
may dilute the matter.

4. If it is not a new paragraph or numbered avoided new lines.

5. Separated two paragraph by double line.

6. I'm a G-mail user, now avoided rich formatting.

7. Completely removed quoted text, and copy paste where ever necessary.

8. I never used a signature in my mail.

9. Most of the time salutation (like dear all) is also avoided.

10. Now I'm quoting in such a way that [see example(the number of ">"
increased as the repetition of quote)],

@alan alan
Please visit the links to know more about top posting, bottom posting
and in-line replying.

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html