i've installed kubuntu 9.04 using ubiquity and had no problems on a
sony vaio laptop. if you want you can try installing ubuntu using the
alternate install cd

32bit - http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-i386.iso
64bit - http://releases.ubuntu.com/9.04/ubuntu-9.04-alternate-amd64.iso

it won't give you graphical installation menu etc but might be able to
install ubuntu for you..