Now, let see how to make your computer Malayalam-literate,

Step 1 – Assuming that you are using windows, download a decent
Malayalam UNICODE font. I suggest you Anjali Old
Lipi(http://varamozhi.sourceforge.net/fonts/AnjaliOldLipi.ttf). The
best Malayalam UNICODE font I have ever seen is Meera, but
unfortunately, the size of Meera font is much smaller in Windows
users, but renders perfectly in GNU/Linux.

If you are using GNU/Linux, download this font package.

Step 2 - You have downloaded the fonts, which will usually be in ZIP
format. Uncompress it.

For Windows users, copy it to x:/windows/fonts , if x:/ is the drive
where Windows is installed .

For GNU/Linux users refer this if you are using
GNOME(http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/04/17/how-to-install-fonts-in-ubuntu-804/).
if you are using KDE to install
fonts(http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/qna/11620.html)..

A restart of system or xserver is recommended in Windows and GNU/Linux
respectively.

Step 3 – If you are using Windows XP, goto Control Panel —> Regional
Settings –> Support for complex scripts (enable it and click apply).
Keep Windows XP Service Pack 2 in handy, you NEED it.

Windows Vista doesn’t require this.

GNU/Linux users download and apply this patch (Please report if the
link is broken, they are very active in development).

If you are using a Debain based distro you can download and install
the deb package without going through all these
steps(http://suruma.sarovar.org/deb/fonts/ttf-malayalam-sm-fonts_0.5.2_all.deb).

With the support for complex scripts in Windows you can create
filenames in Malayalam, really kewl, isn’t it? You can even chat (in
gtalk), mail in Malayalam. We will go into those section later, right
now we will fine tune your browser to read Malayalam.

If you are using Internet Explorer, goto Internet Options –> Fonts,
select Malayalam from drop down menu, select AnjaliOldLipi or the font
you have downloaded.

Malayalam rendering was poor in Firefox versions prior to version 3,
hence I recommend you to use version 3 or later. In Firefox 3, goto
preferences –> Select the contents tab –> Fonts (Advanced) –> Select
Malayalam in “Fonts for” drop down menu –> Set “Serif” for the first
option and {your favorite font} for the remaining options. Click OK
and apply.

If you are able to read the following without any trouble, then “YOU DID IT”

“എന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറില്‍ കാര്‍ക്കോടകനോ മരമാക്രിയോ ഇല്ല”

--
   Life is NOT Free!!!

  Jeevachaithanyan Sivanandan
  CyberBeamS Technologies