I had a similar idea of writing a jabber bot it would basically act
like an a iRC chat room ie:
 You can add the bots ID to your gmail account(say you add help...@gmail.com)

The bot would be always online

Whenever you send a message(i.e your problem) to the help...@gmail.com
all the people who added the bot to their chat will get the message
you sent.

then both people can chat via the bot.

had the following advantages:
1.all people need to do is to add the bot.{{need not learn IRCing
(incase they dont know, that is.which is more probably so.}}
2.The bots gmail chat log can be used to make a summary of problem and
solution and archive it(in the mailing list or so)
3.Gmail chat is widely accesible {{from your phone,pidgin etc...,Gmail)

i dropped playing with the idea because freehosting providers dint let
me open the XMPP port.

Dont know if this is something like the idea being discussed.

And yes i would vote for a social network with all the people in the
list((with profiles and all)) so that i could figure out the people
geographically near me or in my college or people i knew in other ways
in the list.

--
Srihari K