Saw this in today's mathrubhumi

http://www.mathrubhumi.com/php/newFrm.php?news_id=123843&n_type=HO&category_id=3&Farc=&previous=Y

I think we should tell the press about the existence of openstreetmap.org and
how google is inviting community  to provide data to improve the quality of
their product. Once this data is handed over to google, it becomes their
property and modifying it is not that easy. ie. the community is going to
provide read only data ( read only for the public ) to google.  The
openstreetmap effort [ openstreetmap.org ] exist to provide public read/write
data  and can be freely modified. From a practical sense , this makes it more
easier for the public to maintain and the data is public and available to all
to copy and modify and distribute. The Chennai openstreetmap is an example of
community maintained data evolves in quality.

I request  people on this list who might be participating in the event to
upload the data to openstreetmap.org and hence provide valuable map data to
the public rather than to a particular company.  Google can take the data from
openstreetmap if they want.

Regarding the security concerns, i feel that it is kind of stupid since the
data is available for anyone from satellite image providers for a fee.

I think we should tell the press about this. What about sending the press a
note ?

--

aashik

Mandatory Quote:
"My one purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."
  -- Jamie Zawinsky