On 09/02/2010, Srihari k <harisult...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/02/2010, Syam Krishnan <sya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 02/09/2010 07:27 PM, Srihari k wrote:
>>>
>>> Distro: Ubuntu Karmic
>>> filesystem in which the files is Ext4
>>>
>> I guess the reason you mentioned Ext4 is that you've heard about the
>> data loss problems with this file system!
Thanks syam for mentioning that :
i got to this
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Ext4-data-loss-explanations-and-workarounds-740671.html

here is the relevant part(i.e the workaround ):
[...]
Nevertheless, as a workaround, he very quickly wrote patches for Ext4
that recognise the rename() situation and ensure it behaves like Ext3,
and a second procedure that uses ftruncate(). Now, however, he has
provided a "proper" solution. **The new ext4 mounting option
"alloc_on_commit" **gives Ext4 a mechanism analogous to
"data=ordered"** in Ext3, whereby metadata is not committed in the
journal until after blocks have been allocated and the data has been
written. However, this change probably won't arrive until version
2.6.30 of the kernel at the earliest.
[...]

*But how can i set the option  alloc_on_commit ?*

--
Srihari K