On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:11 PM, prakreet <vipinmatth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> keryx doesn't give the user choice to select applications but apton cd
> does.. that's what i meant by forcing him.. but please check the apps
> installed by keryx before commenting.. we r installing vlc player
> which is able to convert mp3 to ogg..
>
> Why am i insisting on keryx?
> 1. Consider that a user who haven't ever used linux is trying ubuntu..
> he doesn't need to know the various packages and their names. he just
> needs his mp3 and other stuff to work.. this is where keryx comes in..
> the instructions to him will be.. extract the files from the zip file
> to a folder, copy paste a command we provide in readme file in
> terminal and done. u r ready to go..

Check this link..
http://maketecheasier.com/what-to-install-after-installing-ubuntu-lucid/2010/04/21
 (thanks stranger in black)

Can such a script be done?
that upon execution (may be autoplay as cd is inserted) would add the
cd as repository,,present the user with some software selection
screen.(with presets selected,i.e the apps u told are essential..) and
issue the apt-get install commands..The user has only to see the
preset selected or if he thinks necessary uncheck some options and
click finish.
I dont have experience in doing such things,,but this can be done
easily i think..please correct me if its not.

--
Srihari