On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Srihari k <harisult...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 3:06 AM, nishandh M <pro.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hiii, a wish list:
> > Classes of linux users:(simplified, please suggest changes..)
> > Developer: (Commited to developing Linux on long term, has pretty good
> > knowledge in trouble shooting, rectifying errors and development)
> > Enthusiast:(Contributing to the development of FLOSS part time.- an IT
> > student, serious enthusiast)
> > Non-techie: Is ready to test and use Linux, at the moment not
> > contributing,and cant handle errors.
> > Wishlist for User friendlines: ( The numbering is not based on priority.
> > Random order)
> > 1) The need for simplifying the language when communicating with Non
> techie
> > class of Linux users.{Bipin kumar}
> >
> > May not always possible, how would we work it out? If a person is busy,
> but
> > can provide a solution in short form, let him do it. Somebody else would
> be
> > ready to elaborate it.(this has to be notified with a 'free to elaborate'
> > tag(?), as some of us may feel reluctant to expand it without adding
> > details,taking it as an unpreferred practice in Mailing list )
>
> Agreed.People are to post solutions (uninstall/install xyz) or post
> commands.The questioner can then ask for further help -" I dont know
> how to uninstall "-then anyone can extend further help ( Well this is
> how it happens most of the time) . What i am trying to tell is
> :Elaboration is neccessary only if the person asking is in do

Yups. agreed. Let this guideline be included in the  FSUG home page
guideline.
''If the answers posted to your query are looking difficult, be very free to
ask for an easier way to do it"
Also:
a) "Those posting questions about software problems are requested to provide
as much necessary details as possible"
b) Should we also draft a recommended proforma (a simple one) for those who
post questions?

Draft proforma:

{Distro:, version:, whether updated through net:, software having the
problem and its version,...what else would be necessary? corresponding
hardware information? }
We will make templates for specific categories, which can be posted to the
user in one click. We expect to get it back "filled in the blanks" as far as
he could. The template categories could be i) network issues, ii) Display
issues iii) Mounting issues iv)... like that
This template should also have a simple guideline on how he could find
answers to these.
It can also have a statement : "Please avoid filling in those details where
you are sure, are not necessary to rectify the problem" [a power user may
get mad if he get such a fill_in_the_blanks post back to a query. Most power
users send relevant data in first post]

> 2) RTF will not be used for communications to mailing list. Images will be
> > attached, not embedded in email.{widely supported, Hiran Venugopal,
> Praveen
> > A,Yadu Nand...}
> > 3)Automation of the following tasks: mounting file systems.{widely
> > supported, Praveen, Srihari}
> > 4) Extensive Right click menus [context menus] with the following
> >
> > 4a)Media operations : Format, mount, unmount
> > 4b) File opertations Zip, unzip,
> > 4c)Memmory release
> >
> > 5) Extensive support for the differentially abled {Jinesh KJ..}:
> >
> > 5a) text to speach
> > 5b) Image to speach
> >
> > 6) Unified icons -- Image overlays and text ( A standardization :
> > recommended for ease of learners)
>
> > 7) Extensive interactive tool tips in small, commited windows, which
> > recognizes context[interacting with the programme/OS]. Supported with
> images
> > , audio and video.
> > 8) Special interpreter programme which crawls through settings files (eg:
> > .ini files) and displays information,Displays changeable settings in a
> > graphical manner.
> >
> > Eg: Reads OS Boot order from grub.lst and presents the order in GUI,
> > settings changeable from interface.
> >
> > 9)A clean Linux Uninstallation program, which allows any other existing
> OS
> > to load. No MBR manipulations afterwards should be necessary
> >
> > {from
> http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#CommMsgs?cmm=25416339&tid=5468635254074103253&start=1
> }
> > 10) Extensive fine tuneability of the OS. {Srihari}
> > 11) Add a training multimedia on bug reporting, with very attractive icon
> in
> > boot menu and and Desktop by default.(later be switched off)
>
> Why include in the OS?Anyone capable of reporting a bug(i.e internet
> connectivity) can access the training multimedia from web.

Any one capable of reporting a bug can make many situations easy for him.
Google, as always, would give 9,99,999 results or its multiples on most key
words on IT, but we are thinking of multimedia content which are relavent
and recommended for the specific Distro. Well this may not be included in
the first DVD. It would only help.

> > 12) Best bug reporter gets ice creams, steam engines or missiles.
> > 13) All developers gets ( choices plees... :)  )
> > 14) Boot option includes the following options along with
> administrator/user
> >
> > 14a) I wanna try it, with all assistance (a short name for it...pls)
>
> Live CD mode

The perfomance problem of LiveCDs (Slow response to GUI initiated commands,
software installation, slow boot speed) could make the user say NO to
GNU/Linux itself.

> > 14b) Boot next time, discarding all changes made in current login.(let
> the
> > user twaek, but not suffer consequences)
>
> Live CD mode
>
> > 15) Let an option be there to release possible OS/backgruond routine
> process
> > resources. for a "Game/Video reneder" mode. On single click, and return
> > full fledged mode.[inspired by Game mode in antivirus softwares]
>
> There are no UN-necessary background process most of the time.However
> compiz and such eye candies are resource consuming.You can turn them
> off from their own menus.If you want a single click turn off them
> ,make a script to turn off them --Someone can help you with that.This
> unnecessary background processes(printer service in my case) differ
> for different people so a single solution , i think ,would not be very
> smart
>
> And regarding the antivirus thingy -- That is THE worst thing you can
> take inspiration for something in a GNU/Linux system look at this -
> http://xkcd.com/c272.html :)

Buhhuhhehhheheh!.The site Rocks.
But that specific comic is not entirely related with our discussed feature
know?

> > 16)Constitute a platform to accumulate money, inorder to buy "user
> > friendliness"patents from the propreitory developers. Cant just pirate on
> > them and let them go to hell.they have families.
>
> USER FRIENDLINESS IS NOT MAKING GNOME/KDE/<your DE here> LOOK LIKE
> GODDAMN WINDOWS.
>
>  "GO LINUX ! FULL THROTTLE BANG! BANG! THUDD!"  would be a boot option,
once the newbie has solved the problems with the foreign embassy's
formalities. Migratory issues.

If the user has never used an OS interface before, we can leave him with
anything terrible or terrific, and say this is the meal you ordered. or
better, this is the one we all Lunch upon.

GODDAMN windows has its own migratory issues. People really got confused
when Vista and Office2007 came. here we are only trying to deal with
migratory issues from WIN users. If we have any ethical/personal problem
with WIN interface, or we have any Patent problem in adopting WIN interface
ways, we preach (or atleast make a sabotage) that <your distro here> way is
the freedom way, and Windows way is the RETARD way.

Should there be a Govt. instruction for IT @ School teachers, that they
should not promote M$ or other OS themes?
If not , let the teachers bargain a deal with M$ for promoting their theme.

How do we would put some Logic in recommending the Govt to avoid M$ theme in
Linux. Lindows case can be exemplified(?), but there could be additional
plots.

Should we waste time on pulling down GODDAMN windows for ethical reasons?
(play a very strategic game equivalent to the ones played by other OSs) or
just concentrate on making linux better and work out its publicity..?

> > 17)I recently saw an image crawler in web, which indexes only CC/GPL
> images.
> > Designing  one for forum crawling would be great. i hope its already
> there.
> >
> > 17a) men should be able to rank discussions, and post consolidations.
> >
> > 18) Narendra Sisodaya has listed a lot of changes, in his SchoolOS
> project.
> > like Gobotype Filesystem, and more.
> > Praveen A has created a project page:
> >
> http://www.fosscommunity.in/wiki/If_linux_needs_to_be_adopted_by_desktop_users,_it_needs_to_be_much_more_user_friendly_%28nobody_argues%29
> > Consolidations will be posted to this page
> > Shud we restrict the discussion to the potentials of FSUG Tvm only?
> >

> And one more point:
> Thanks to being in touch with this community i had a chance to help
> with visually challenged people install Ubuntu,from my experience with
> them:point 5 and point 8 conflicts .. i.e i saw  they are comfortable
> with the terminal.They did not go for a gui method(software
> center)...instead they opened terminal and typed sudo apt-get purge
> pulseaudio.
> So editing text files may be a lot more comfortable for them than
> messing with checkboxes and tabs and drop downs

Nice.I think this would be a new thread. Its socially very relavent. I know
two visually impaired students-both pursuing their PG, at Kannur university
and Kerala Uni respectively. Uses Linux. I donno about govt and NGO efforts
in this field, it would be good if we can add it up in another thread. Links
to relavent institutes, softwares and readings would from a database, as
contributors in the list are already involved in the specific area --
technologies for the physically impaired, and its regional aspects.

So different priorities need to be defined in case of visually impaired.
Audio--CLI based.