Hi,

Ubuntu disk utility is very comprehensive compared to that of the windows.
It wont install unlike windows that just ignore bad sectors. You need to
change the disk or install buntu on an external. May be your partition table
is corrupt. To find out more go to Ubuntu forums and check my post under
"grumpy.biatch' for further action.

Best,

David