as far as i know when you are installing proprietary drivers  from
ubuntu repos nouveau drivers are disabled so its not a problem. the
problem you say arises when you are installing drivers using nvidia
supplied source and scripts, which is not a concern for average users
since the drivers supplied by ubuntu repos are stable enough. the only
case where you want want to use nvidia supplied source is when you
want to install or bleeding edge stuff or want install drivers for a
system  that do not have a fast internet connection.  there is one
more advantage for using nvidia supplied drivers that is whenever a
kernel update is performed there is no need to recompile the drivers.
i know nvidia say their drivers support DKMS however it didn't work
for me in karmic installation when i installed the drivers from
website and i had to recompile the drivers  after a kernel update as
opposed to when i was using stock ubuntu packages.