Hi,

Most probably OpenOffice is already installed in your machine. It
comes with Ubuntu 10.04, so all what you have to do is,

1. Download the .oxt file from the link I gave below

but since you are using Ubuntu let me make the choices even simpler,
download from any of the links given below. The "link A" given below
will fetch you the .oxt for a 32bit Ubuntu system, and the "link B"
will fetch you the .oxt for 64bit Ubuntu system.

A. http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/download/4620  [32bit]
B. http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/download/4621  [64bit]

Now after you get the .oxt, save it in your home folder,

2. Open OpenOffice.org Writer
3. Go to Tools > Extension
4. Click on add extension
5. Browse to the home folder and select the file you have just downloaded.
6. That completes the installation.

Now you have installed the software. Try and import the document.

--
Anoop Jacob Thomas

http://anoop.caremedia.org