I got a v570 two days ago and have had the same/similar problems.  At
first I thought it was just a driver issue with Ubuntu; however,think
it's more than that.  After 6 hours of fighting with Ubuntu, searching
google, and having no luck, I gave up and re-installed Windows 7.
Luckily, I had backed up all of the drivers and got everything back up
and working until I installed VMware to run Ubuntu and Backtrack 5 and
lost my internet connection.  I uninstalled VMware incase there was an
issue with the Adapter configurations and double checked the drivers.
The hardware radio switch is turned on, FN + F5 isn't working and the
computer is still saying that the switch is turned off....I have
rebooted several times to be sure that everything worked itself out,
hard-wired into the router to check for hardware changes (none), and
still nothing.  I might just return it to bestbuy and upgrade to
something better....