On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 20:58, Dhananjay Balan <mb.dhanan...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hai,
>
> I have a computer with ~300 gigs of harddisk, where 30-50GB stores the OS.
> I was wondering if theres any problem with using the remaining space as
> single partion to store my entire data. has anyone done it before? What are
> the problems that can arise?

@Dj,
Oh! Discard my previous mail. [assumed that you wanted to use the /
completely for data]

I don't really think it can increase the performance. I think its better to
classify and partition the volumes appropriately by considering on what all
partition there will be frequent writes and on what all partitions only
frequent read is done.

Eg: Movies,tutorial and stuffs like that can be stored in a volume as it
has frequent read but occasional writes.
and codes, document preparation, personal auditing on various stuffs,
mails, can be partitioned in a separate volume as it has frequent writes
and read.

To get enough performance you can tweak the file system mount flags like
"noatime" on frequent read only volumes and many others are there. Also you
can use "resiserfs" on /var filesystem as it faster and efficient that ext*
filesystems on small files. There are many minor over-killing stuffs like
that. ;)

If performance is not that important, you can neglect the above said
suggestions.
--
Arjun S R
http://about.me/arjunsr