*Hi Sooraj,*

Your idea is not a new one, Australia's largest ISP, BigPond, had linux and
other opensource software mirrors but they ditched it on 2010.
http://beta.slashdot.org/story/137604

> *Bigpond (Telstra)* uncountable

> As of July 2010, Bigpond discontinued its own file servers. Fortunately
> within a week they announced that they will provide unmetered access to the
> content on the AARNet mirror. So if you are a Bigpond client, please use
> the details provided for AARNet above and this will be quota free for you.
> This has also been confirmed as free data for people on Bigpond wireless
> broadband.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/LocalAptMirrors

BSNL has a website for distributing various software for their
customers, http://www.motive.bsnl.co.in/ .
Downloads from above mentioned BSNL site will not be accounted in data
usage. Moreover downloads from this website using a limited speed
connection will give the user high speed bandwidth. For example if you are
on a 256kbps limited BSNL ADSL broadband connection, you can get above 2.5
Mbps on this site.

Private sector ISP's like Airtel, Aircel, Idea, MTS, Reliance, Tata,
Uninor, Videocon and Vodafone also can offer free mirrors for open source
software.

It would be great if some folks from telecom companies share their views.

Cheers,
Danial José

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:55:59 PM UTC+5:30, sooraj kenoth wrote:

> {Trimmed}
>
> > There is an idea in my mind which I am thinking about for
> > quite some time. I
> > believe one of the main reasons why the adoption of
> > Linux fails among common
> > people is when it comes to the software installation part or to be
> specific
> > the dependency on internet. All of us knows
> > that we have a better software
> > management system when compared to M$ Windows.
> >
> > First let me tell you that this is a thought and not an expert opinion.
> > need all of you to correct me if this is an idiotic thought.
> >
> > So let me start.
> > "Nowadays BSNL broadband is quite common
> > even in rural parts of Kerala. We
> > can also take other ISP's too. So now most of the
> > houses where they have a
> > computer usually opt for a broadband internet connection
> > (may be the most
> > basic plan also). Is it possible to discuss with ISP's like BSNL not to
> > meter the Linux software installation requests!!! ie. Like ISP's are
> > providing free whatsapp/Facebook  data etc. This can really help not
> only
> > home users, but will also help educational institutions and others
> > organisations etc. This can be achieved in another way also by
> > mirroring/caching famous distros repository to ISP's data centers/infra
> > facilities like exchanges etc there by reducing the inter country
> traffic
> > for ISP's.
> >
> > And ilugs can volunteer to maintain this in however way.
> >
> > I strongly believe that such a thing will surely boost the Linux
> adoption
> > across our state. And we can confidently promote GNU in full swing."
> >
> > Note : mandatharam anenkil kshamikkuka. Waiting for response. :-)
>
> I don't think it as a good idea.
>

> --
> Regards
> Sooraj Kenoth
> "I am Being the Change I Wish to See in the World"

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free
Software Users Group,  Thiruvananthapuram" group.
to ilug-tvm+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.