Hello,

The fundamental problem that we have here is not really the dead website or
a lack of updates on the website. The dead website and the lack of updates
are only symptoms of a deeper problem which is the inactivity in the group.
What we should really be worried about are not the symptoms but the root
problems. Trying to address the symptom and causing further problems is not
really the solution to the root problem.

I am sorry and sad that we as a community have not been able to really
build critical mass and sustainability in the group in spite of repeated
attempts in the past by multiple sets of people. The reality however would
be that this is probably going to be the nature of the problem in general
since there are no vested interests in driving the community forward.
Zyxware's attempt in 2006 was preceded by the earlier attempt in late 1990s
and early 2000s in building the original Free Software Users Group
Trivandrum. Unfortunately both initiatives had fizzled out over time
because both attempts could not build and retain active, passionate
manpower in the community. I am not saying that there is no sustainable
solution to the problem but that so far we have not succeeded in finding
and implementing one locally.

For around 5 years since 2006, Zyxware as a company had tried to sustain
regular activities in the community to identify, nurture and build a
regular volume of active, passionate and enthusiastic youngsters. I believe
I can proudly claim that we played a central role in the activities in the
community during this period. We were reasonably successful in doing this
as well. However because of the lack of a commercial ecosystem in
Trivandrum (and Kerala in general) around Free Software we were not able to
retain these people geographically and most (almost all) had moved on
outside of Kerala seeking better prospects. From what I have seen so far in
the community, self-interest typically always takes priority over the
interests of the community and I haven't seen too many people (although I
have seen a few gems) who were willing to sacrifice a bit and invest their
time in working towards building a strong community. Without the physical
presence of passionate individuals, driving regular activities was a big
financial overhead for a small organization like Zyxware. Zyxware was
probably the only company in Kerala to have an employee with a designation
"Free Software Evangelist". As we pulled back our direct active involvement
in the community physical activities dwindled because of the ensuing
leadership vacuum and over time virtually no activities were happening.
There were small random attempts to restart things but nothing had taken
off.

We have not given up on Free Software as can be seen from the mission
statement of the company. 'Promoting and popularizing the philosophy of
Free Software' is a key mission with which the company has been founded (
http://www.zyxware.com/about). Again, I am not sure if we have another
company in Kerala with a similar mission statement. In the past we had
tried to promote Free Software without trying to ensure that we were
generating enough revenues from Free Software to sustain promotional
activities around Free Software. In retrospect I believe that it was
critical that we should have tried to build a strong commercial activity
base around Free Software to generate revenues to subsidize the
non-commercial activities and also to hire and retain people who were
passionate about Free Software to remain within Kerala.

It is very easy to preach the philosophy of Free Software or be engaged
with online activism. However when it comes to physical activities, real
labour and real money are involved. Only a steady and sustainable physical
activity thread can really reach out and promote the philosophy of Free
Software. Everything else will really be only about preaching to the
converted and starting and fighting fires within a closed group.

My reading is that the key aspects to be addressed, for building a vibrant,
sustainable and growing community of Free Software users, contributors and
activists, are

1 - A regular set of physical outreach activities
2 - A regular infusion of fresh blood
3 - Nurturing and building competency and passion among new converts
4 - Generating employment opportunities around Free Software in the local
market
5 - Building a commercial ecosystem around Free Software that can fund and
drive activities as well as absorb and retain passionate and enthusiastic
individuals.

In the past we (Zyxware as a company and fsug-tvm as a community) have
successfully executed points 1, 2 and 3 but had failed in points 4 and 5
which ultimately prevented sustenance of 1 which lead to the stoppage of 2
and 3.

As a company Zyxware is committed to the philosophy of Free Software and we
are pursuing strategies to get 4 and 5 working for us as a company and
build an ecosystem for Free Software around our commercial activities. We
have been slowly but steadily pursuing this over the last year or so and we
have started generating a revenue stream around Free Software services in
the local market. Moving forward we are looking to grow and expand this to
a viable commercial system and we invite people who are passionate about
Free Software to come join us in building this ecosystem around Free
Software.

I believe that Free Software works on the premise of reputation through
contribution. I believe Zyxware as an organization has made significant
contributions to the promotion of Free Software in Trivandrum, in the state
of Kerala and specifically through our RequestCD program (
http://www.zyxware.com/requestcd) across India. You could see some of our
documented Free Software contributions / activities here -
http://www.zyxware.com/categories/free-software. Some of the biggest
campaigns / activities included Freedom Walk (http://www.freedomwalk.in),
Freedom Toaster (http://www.freedomtoaster.in), Technopark Install Fest (
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-kerala/linux-install-fest-at-technopark/article1322461.ece).
We also contribute significantly through our Drupal operations. I believe
that we might actually be the largest code contributor to the Drupal
project from India (https://www.drupal.org/marketplace/zyxware).

I cannot speak for the community as I am not currently playing an active
role in the local community. However as a long standing member /
contributor / activist in the Free Software community in Trivandrum I would
welcome anybody who is really interested and concerned about the Free
Software Users Group Trivandrum to come and revive the physical activities
around Free Software in Trivandrum and reinvigorate the community. Doing
that should allow volunteers in the community to get the website going
again.

Best Regards
Anoop John

Founder & CTO
Zyxware Technologies

|--
| Zyxware Technologies
| http://www.zyxware.com
|--
| Be the change you wish to see in the world, M. K. Gandhi
|--

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free
Software Users Group,  Thiruvananthapuram" group.
to ilug-tvm+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.