>also curious does this model work out in cyber cafe's in us and european
nations? from what i understand  from various people whom i have >talked to
including cafe owners, they use MS Windows. why do you think that it would
work particularly in India?

Recently my brother went to sweden for higher studies.  He plans to buy a
laptop there..  and he found that windows vista is the default OS supplied
in all the machine..  But many of the programs in windows doesnt work in
vista..  I just sent an astro software that works in XP here to a person
there, and he could not run it in vista..

few years down the line, when there is possibility of vista becomeing
standard, then users will find both Linux and vista equally new..

Btw, on the war of Linux vs Windows in cyber cafe's, kenneth's suggestion of
mixed machines is the best solution..  few of the systems can be linux and
the server can be linux..  by this, we have choices to give to customer..
Those who just want to browse can use Linux and those who want windows, also
has the offer..

Since mozilla has been widely used now, switching to linux for browsing
purpose wont make much difference..

Open office can perform most of the works that MS word does..  But, its the
user experience that ultimately matters..  I feel, Open Office has not
reached the level to match Word's sophisticated UI and user experience.  but
functionally  we can do most of the things MS does..

As i said long back, this can be a good case point for the academic students
to take on..  identify where OO lacks w.r.t wonword, and then take that as a
mini project or academic project..

Regards,
Senthil