Hi Arulalan,

TCP/IP is the underlying architecture of the whole Internet. The power of these
protocols is surpassed only by their simplicity and elegance.
I have worked on various Internet protocols for Lucent and Conexant and I think
TCP/IP are the most elegant, simple and powerful protocols of them all.

I am based in Hyd and hence cannot give a one day seminar but the right way to
understand the protocols is to read the RFCs.
At first the RFCs may seem a bit dry/complicated but once you read a couple,
you will start enjoying them and appreciate the precise language used as well
as the thought process.

TCP/IP includes UDP/ICMP too. For a more complete understanding, you will need
to understand at least one routing protocol like RIP and also how DNS works.

Some resources/books are also listed below.

You will find the RFCs on http://www.rfc-editor.org/
Here is the RFC for IP: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/std/std5.txt
Here is the RFC for TCP: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc793.txt

Other RFCs:
ICMP: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc792.txt
UDP: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc768.txt

Books: (Only if the RFCs seem too complicated. I rememeber the authors - not
the exact title of books)
1. TCP/IP programming by Doughlas and Comer (3 parts when I read them in 1998 -
don't know about now.)
2. Networking by Tannebaum. (This book tends to be a bit confusing. Don't focus
too much on the OSI model - just read the TCP/IP parts.)

If it all seems too confusing, just take a deep breath, close the books and
focus that we are just simply trying to achieve transfer of data from one comp
to another without loss. Try and imagine your own solution for it and then
compare your model with the mechanism described in the RFC - you will
understand the RFCs faster.
You can master the RFCs mentioned above if you spend 3-4 hrs a day - it will
take 3-5 weeks including re-reads, confusions, clarifications ....
For code samples, you can see the Linux kernel but that is of course very
advanced at this stage :-)

You can mail me if you have queries of course. I have had a lot of fun reading
and understanding these protocols and
am totally awed by Jon Postel, Vincent Cerf, and other assorted authors
and how they could plan so much in advance. I hope you derive as much
joy as I did.
Congratulations on having started on something very wonderous and believe me,
if you manage to really understand how these protocols work, you will have an
excellent understanding of the Internet, joy in life in addition to high paying
jobs waiting for you :-)

kc
K. C. Ramakrishna
www.rknowsys.com