2009/3/17 பத்மநாதன் <indianath...@gmail.com>

> Dear LUGs,
>                   ELCOT supplied acer laptops to schools. It is very slow
> in performance. I stopped PostgreSQL, Mysql and oracle Database service and
> bind etc. eventhough the system performance is slow.

Am just curious about why ELCOT supplies laptops with 3 different database
services
running.... IMHO, MySQL exor Postgres would suffice for schools.
I am kinda unsure as to what the tool is in SuSe. In fedora, the tool is
ntsysv. You can
use it to tune the startup process. You can use
as a guide.

Use top to find what takes up the most cpu time. If you find it unnecessary,
nip it!

Also, as an extreme (is it?) step, you can install a lighter distro on it. I
hope that
doesnt  nullify the warranty. It should not.... For this, try the Fedora
Xfce spin. I found it
very usable. Or probably even Archlinux (takes some time setting up.
Installing core
takes 10 minutes. Then you have to install xorg and <DE/WM of your choice>).
It
starts with just core apps an you may then use it as a meta-distro. It is
very fast too.

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham