It is not really about one party or the other, I guess. There seems to be a
good level awareness among Government officials about need for open
standards.

Have a look at this tender document for developing and maintaining website
for Income Tax  Department.
http://incometaxindia.gov.in/archive/TenderWebMaster.zip

It talks about Non-proprietory Document Formats, Accessibility Issues, CSS
based design and sets the eligibility criteria quite low (at Rs 50 lakh per
annum turnover for 3 years).

The requirements look designed for a open source solution provider to bid
low enough and win the contract. Any proprietary software based bid does not
stand a chance, if (a big IF) an open source bids goes through the first
rounds.

Best regards,

Ma Sivakumar

 மா சிவகுமார்