Hello,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Nithi Anantham wrote:
> Currently i am doing my B.E final year project in MAEMO ( Mobile
> Application Platform for Nokia internet tablets) embedded linux
> development. To start with this platform i have chosen to create an
> scientific calculator and successfully came through the GTK+/ C. I
> have created GUI with enough signals to perform the operations. Now i
> have to convert my source ( In C ) into an debian package.

Welcome to packaging for Debian!

Depending on the complexity of your program you probably already have
a chain like "configure, make, make install".

At all points of time you should be reading the Debian Maintainer's
Guide (also "maint-guide" as a Debian package).  At most points of
time you can ask for help on the Debian mailing list debian-mentors or
on the IRC channel #debian-mentors on irc.debian.org.

The basic structure of a debian source package is:
 1. Upstream source (in your case your own source) which is
    packed as pkgname_a.b.orig.tar.gz where a.b. is the version
    number
 2. A pngname_a.b-c.diff.gz which contains the stuff you add
    to the upstream source for packaging requirements.
 3. A "signature" file pkgname_a.b-c.dsc which contains signatures
    of these two files authenticated by the person making the
    package.
You will not in general create these "by hand" --- except the first
which you have anyway created. :-)

The tools to build packages in debian begin with "build-essential"
which you must install. Other such packages are mentioned below.

When you unpack these source packages (download any typical small
source package with "apt-get source pkgname" to have a look), you will
get a directory of the form pkgname-a.b which contains the original
upstream source with the patch in the diff.gz applied. In particular,
there will be a sub-directory of pkgname-a.b called "debian/" which
contains the Debian packaging information. (In fact, many .diff.gz's
only contain this subdirectory).

The program "dh-make" will help you to create a typical "debian/"
directory which uses "debhelper" toolkit for packaging. Other
alternatives are possible.

This much should be enough to get you started (and it is getting late
as well!). As I said above, read the documentation and don't hesitate
to ask on the appropriate forums.

Regards,

Kapil.