I think the problem is surely with Xorg.
Try replying with your hardware specs. It'll help greatly.

If your CPU is a Pentium IV (without HyperThreading), there have been
issues reported with 8.10.
Did you try installing 8.04?
Do you get a 30 pixel shift in your monitor login screen?
After logging in, do you get a blank screen or the background wallpaper?

I know one such issue with Ubuntu. Xorg configures the display
resolution as 1280x800 (Device is Generic Monitor) while most monitors
(CRT) can't handle anything more than 1024x768. This not only causes a
30px shift in the screen but sometimes makes the display go blank.

Go to the tty, login and do a 'nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf' and reply with
the output. It'll help greatly too..

May the source be with you.
Bhargav Prasanna