On Saturday 02 May 2009, Raja Subramanian wrote:
> On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Arun Khan <kn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Are you referring to the ones in the /var/lib/pgsql/data directory?
> > Nothing there.
>
> No, not the DB transaction logs.
>
> I'm referring to /var/log/postgresql.log or syslog or wherever
> your log_destination is set to in postgresql.conf.

In openSUSE11.1 the server logs are in /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_log/*

I am testing the migrated data by providing a link file "data" pointing
to either the bare db created by initdb during install (data.install)
or the data.amd64 dir migrated from the old machine.

When "data" is linked to data.install, pg starts and the logfiles are in
data/pg_log.

When "data" is pointing to data.amd64 then pg start hangs for ~ 2 mins
and then displays "failed" there is no log file in data/pg_log

Please see session transcript below

postg...@saraswati:~> pwd
/var/lib/pgsql
postg...@saraswati:~> ls -dl data*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 postgres postgres   10 2009-05-02 18:49 data -> data.amd64
drwx------ 10 postgres postgres 4096 2009-04-23 08:54 data.amd64
drwx------ 11 postgres postgres 4096 2009-05-02 17:49 data.install

postg...@saraswati:~> sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql start

root's password:
Starting PostgreSQL could not start server       failed <<<<<<<

postg...@saraswati:~> pwd
/var/lib/pgsql
postg...@saraswati:~> ls -dl data*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 postgres postgres    9 2009-05-02 18:57 data ->
data.install
drwx------ 10 postgres postgres 4096 2009-05-02 18:52 data.amd64
drwx------ 11 postgres postgres 4096 2009-05-02 17:49 data.install

postg...@saraswati:~> sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Starting PostgreSQL                              done  <<<<<<<<

Thanks.
--
Arun Khan